As parents, we all have our own “stuff” to deal with – our wounds and habits and emotional triggers, many of which are due to our own upbringing. Of course, we all want to be great parents and not damage our kids. We are all doing the best we can in the moment. Sometimes we just need a little help, a little direction, and a little reassurance that our kids will turn out OK in spite of us. Honestly, most of us have some personal work to do to get to a better parenting place. That’s where today’s guest steps in.
Kate Anthony is a parenting and personal development coach who created the program, How NOT to F*** Up Your Kids. Her core philosophy is that you can be a better parent by becoming a better YOU. She teaches that you can solve many of your messy problems by increasing your EQ, or emotional intelligence. Our conversation today is full of helpful information. Even if you’re not a parent, or your kids are grown, what we discuss will help you better understand and support your loved ones who are parents (and maybe even yourself)!
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- Our children=MIRRORS
- Kate’s struggle to make a bad marriage “work”
- The “What If’s”
- From the really bad to the really beautiful
- Handling life’s messy parts
- Consciously designing your life
- Looking through the lenses of your “perspectacles”
- Bringing conscious awareness to your parenting
- How to be a powerful parent, but not controlling
- How to be assertive, NOT aggressive
- Being aware of your parenting blueprint
- Emotional intelligence—What is it?
- Response vs. Reaction
- Five levels of listening
- Don’t forget to model!
- Optimism: it’s NOT just being positive
- Looking for the growth opportunity
- Are you an Eeyore or a Tigger?
- Self-care, oxygen masks, and motherhood
- Hungry, angry, lonely, or tired?
- The Zen Mom: Steps to Chillin’ Out!
- Kate’s program: 8 steps in 8 weeks
www.kateanthony.com (Find her free resources and much more!)